Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Richard and Renee






When we talked about Renee Richards in class, I was astonished to find out that a man, Richard Raskind, played tennis with the boys, had a sex change, and then played tennis with the girls as Renee Richards. At first I thought that this was entirely unfair to the women that Renee played against after the sex change, but as we discussed it further in class, I realized that it was not some plot to dominate women’s tennis or gain an unfair advantage in the sport. There are strict rules as to when a man who has had a sex change can play against girls, and this is after the hormone therapy has taken effect and helped the person truly become a woman in all physical aspects. I feel that this eliminates any unfair advantage that the previously male player may have over women players.

I found it interesting that Renee actually regretted playing tennis on a public stage, even though she did well. I can see her point though, because I would not want all of that media attention either, especially about an issue that is so personal and private. She said that she wished she had just returned to a medical practice, where there would have been significantly less public interest and media attention.

I was also intrigued by the fact that Renee stated in an interview that she would recommend against the sex change surgery, especially if the candidate was over 40 years old. Most of the stories I hear today promote being true to your “inner self” and make it seem like these types of life-changing personal decisions are easy ones, with no regrets and a beautiful happily-ever-after attached. I like that fact that she gave a real opinion and serious advice to people in her situation.
I think that what Renee did will make it less controversial, although not entirely socially acceptable, for athletes who want to have sex changes in the future. She is one of the people that have made new ground for transgender athletes, and no matter her regrets, she has changed sport and the way it looks at gender.

2 comments:

  1. Yea this was a crazy and bizarre case to say the least. I mean if the sex change really makes you biologically the same as the sex you changed to I suppose it is alright to compete. I know one rule we discussed in class was waiting two years after the change to compete so then maybe the transformation will be complete. It would and maybe will be real interesting if a case similar to this occurs but the man who changed to the women is dominate.I wonder what people would say then and if they would change the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that her case did not adhere to were the requirements of the Stockholm Consensus, which I believe has been in effect since about 2004. According to that, Richards would have had to wait 2 years after sex reassignment surgery to be able to compete in the category of her new sex. That would have made her almost 43, which might have given her time to re-think her desire to play competitive tennis.

    ReplyDelete